Hey everyone!! This past week I have been slaving away in the kitchen making some yummy treats for Valentine’s Day and I wanted to share them with you! I collabed with Kate Thomas on this post and you can check out her yummy doughnuts on her blog or down below!
Red Velvet Cake Balls
Okay this first little fun treat I made was the outcome of a failed attempt at baking a cake. I wanted to bake a layered red velvet cake and decorate it all pretty, but when I went to take the cake out of the pan to let it cool it all crumbled and fell apart. So I said to myself, I guess I’m making cake balls! These actually turned out pretty cute, and they taste good too! All you have to do to make these are:
- Buy box red velvet cake (I got mine from target; or you can bake your own from scratch!) and follow the instructions on how to bake it
- After you’ve let the cake cool, place it on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes
- Take the cake, place it in a bowl, and crumble it all up into little crumbs. I at first tried to do this with a spoon, but found the most effective way was to crumble it with my hands.
- Then place the bowl of crumbled cake in the freezer for about 20 minutes or until it is cold
- Add one can of cream cheese frosting to the bowl and mix until you get a dough like consistency
- Then take the dough and roll it into little balls
- Place these balls in the fridge overnight or for a couple of hours and then roll the balls in melted chocolate. I used the candy melts that are easy to use and pre-colored which I found at Michael’s.
- Lastly, place the chocolate covered cake balls in the fridge until hard and enjoy!
They’re pretty simple to make and very yummy for when you’re craving a small treat!
Marbled Sugar Cookies
These cookies are, again, easy to make and very delicious!
- 2/3 cup Butter
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Start off my mixing the softened butter in a mixer for about 30 seconds, then add in half of the flour along with all of the other ingredients, when it is all combined add in the other cup of flour and mix until it becomes a dough. This dough can be crumbly at first, but all you have to do is just knead it together! Then place the dough in the fridge and let chill for about 2-3 hours or until firm. Take the dough out and split into 2 halves. Dye one of the halves red (or light pink) with some food coloring and knead until the color is distributed throughout. Then combine the 2 halves and roll the marbled dough onto a floured surface, cut out your desired shape of cookie and place on a non-greased baking sheet. Cook for about 6-7 minutes in a 375 degree oven. If you don’t want to shape your cookies, you can just roll into balls and then roll into sugar for the original sugar cookie! I didn’t end up frosting these cookies because I wanted you to be able to see the marbled effect. But to make the frosting or “glaze” for this cookie all you need is 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk. Whisk them together to create a yummy glaze.
Hope you enjoyed this little V-Day inspired baking! It was so much fun to make!